Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

DIY "snood?" Yep that's what it's called.


After a 2 month hiatus (due mostly to laziness, business & overall lack of craftiness) I am back! For a while I found this blog to be more of a hassle than a good experience but after being encouraged by friends & family, I feel like I need to get back at it. I still have lots of ideas & projects & I am the only one benefitting from such if I don’t keep at this blog. With that being said, I’m back, hopefully for good.

The first project I have is the most ridiculously easy thing ever. A few weeks ago (yes, weeks) I was perusing the Elle magazine website which is weird, because it’s me, and anyone who knows me knows that Elle is not something I’m too… well, “in to.” But setting that aside, I still browse it occasionally, to check out the latest fashion trends etc. as well as gather inspiration. Anyway, I stumbled across this article about this thing called a “snood,” found here

Really it’s just a scarf, only the ends are connected, I guess. I thought it was crazy that these things, the designer versions anyway, are going for hundreds of dollars. That’s nuts!! It’s just a scarf! I like fashion trends as much as the next girl but forking out hundreds, let alone anything under 5 dollars is nuts, especially when you can make one yourself out of items you probably already own, and I will show you how.

For the easiest version, this piece only takes one step. Cutting!You can use anything you have, a T shirt, a sweater, a dress. I used a dress that i got at a thrift shop that needed to be hemmed anyway. I cut off a large chunk at the bottom, about 16 inches long, and... yeah that's it. You have a snood. The only thing you have to watch is that the section of fabric you cut can wrap around your head/ neck easily, so stretchy fabric is good, and a wide section is ideal.


Another way to create this piece is to use a scarf you already have, and sew the ends together (or pin them with safety pins for a more temporary solution) ... and again, that's it.


The more difficult and time-consuming snood project is to actually knit or crochet one yourself, which again, is just a scarf with the ends stitched together, so if you need a knitting project, go for it. It's easy and apparently, in style right now.


So while i don't agree with the idea of the snood, fashion is fashion, and if i can say anything positive about it, it's that it shows how easy and affordable is actually it is to be a trend-setter.


No comments:

Post a Comment